|Object ID number||2015.47.21|
|Title||Green family bible|
|Scope & Content||
Leather-bound Bible published in 1857 in Philadelphia by Jesper Harding & Son.
This Bible was owned by Walter Green, and his name is inscribed in the front cover and on one of the front papers.
There are various bookmarks and other materials inserted into the book, including the following (note: these are filed in Individual & Family Papers Miscellaneous, box 1, in a folder numbered 2015.47.21
- Illustrated postcard-sized pictures of a skylark and a goldfinch, which were between pages 80 and 81, Leviticus chapter 10 and chapter 11.
- Bookmark with the words "Wishing you many happy returns of the day", between pages 256 and 257, First book of Chronicles chapter 22 and chapter 23
- Looseleaf piece of paper with writing in pencil: "What with the assistance of our Vice-President and Miss Wetherell, I will close this brief report, hoping to hear from Mr. Sterglisen [?] who is present with us tonight. -- Report of Bridgeport Convention held", between pages 402 and 405, Proverbs chapters 2 and 3
- Square piece of cardboard cross-stitch paper with the letters "Pe" worked in red, orange, and yellow yarn, between Apocrypha pages 72 and 73, Ecclesiasticus chapters 43 and 44
- A card for the Young People's Society of Christian Endeavor in Wapping, CT, listing the officers, committees, and 1890 calendar; also a pressed leaf, between Apocrypha pages 88 and 89, First book of the Maccabees chapter 4
- A rectangular cardboard cross-stitch paper with the words "Holy Bible", a heart, a book in red and yellow, and the letters "LG" embroidered in yarn, between Apocrypha page 116 and the "Marriages" page
- Looseleaf paper with transcribed deeds between Asahel Bissell and Barzillai Green, between Elisha and Hannah Moore and Barzillai Green, and Abiah (or Ahiah) Moore and Barzillai Green, between the "Deaths" page and a blank page
- A purple ribbon and paper bookmark with the words "Merry Christmas" on the paper, between pages 632 and 633, Gospel of Luke chapters 16 and 17
- A receipt for 12 quince bushes purchased from Hiram H. Gurney in 1887, between pages 640 and a picture page showing the crowing of thorns in the Gospel of John, chapter 1
- A leaf between pages 656 and 657, Gospel of John chapters 19 and 20
- A cardboard cross-stitch paper with the words "search the scriptures" and a book, in yarn, between pages 662 and 663, The Acts of the Apostles chapters 6 and 7
- Three pages of looseleaf paper with the draft of an address to a convention or notice to a similar effect, between pages 668 and 669, Acts of the Apostles chapters 13 and 14
In between the Old and New Testaments, there are several genealogical pages filled out with Green family births, deaths, and marriages.
|Collection||Walter Green Collection|