Museum Logo

Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object ID number D2001.15.02.16
Title Barney Daley Folder
Scope & Content A hand-written copy of the original deed for a parcel of land on Main St. in South Windsor, CT now owned by Barney Daley (2005). The parcel was originally conveyed to Thomas Burnham, Sr., South Windsor, from Chief Uncas of the Mohegan Indian Tribe in 1711. The copy traces the ownership of the parcel up to about 1836. Barney Daley
purchased the land in the 1950's from one Jack Kearns who had
purchased it during the Great Depression. The copy shows the purchase price as one coat, 2 shillings, 6 pence and "divers other
goods". It has the signature marks of the Natives carefully recreated by Barney.
Collection Barney E. Daley Collection
People Daley, Barney E.
Perry, William
Willys, Hezekiah
Woolcott, Roger
Spencer, Thomas
Anne, Queen of Great Britain
Haynes, John
Moore, John
Burnham, Thomas, Sr
Allyn, John
Barnard, Barth(olomew)
Mygatt, Jacob
Burnham, John
Burnham, Timothy
Goines, Daniel
Uncas, Chief of the Mohegans, d. 1684.
Subjects Mohegan Indians.
Search Terms Deed
Mohegan Indians
East Windsor
South Windsor
land purchase
Year Range from 1930
Year Range to 1970